Thursday, October 1, 2009

The walrus now understands his competition

today i swam a solid 475 yds before i had to stop because the life gaurd girl had to put out the lane lines. normally i would think something like "damn it! i was doing so well!" but this time i thought "thank god, the walrus needs to stop."

today's swim was based more on stamina than speed. on my crawl stroke, i taught myself to breathe on both sides so i can go 3 strokes without breathing. i did a lot more crawl stroke today than breast stroke. i think the day off yesterday made a big difference for some reason.

with a renewed sense of confidence, being able to swim for a longer stretch than before, i decided the last 4 lengths of the pool i would do with fins. in the lane next to me was a clearly accomplished swimmer. he was doing the medally, and was pretty good at it. i was going down the lane on my back with my fins, swimming pretty fast i might add, when i looked to my left and noticed i was being passed by that guy.......doing the butterfly. when i got to the end i took off the fins and started crawl stroking a solid 10 yards in front of him. he had now began to breast stroke. guess what? he beat me.

when i got out of the pool i said to the life gaurd, "that guy is fast. he beat me doing the butterfly when i had fins on." she agreed that he was very good. then i mentioned the old guy that comes in most of the time and that he would beat me doing the crawl stroke when i was using fins and a kick board. she said, "oh yeah, that guy is really good, he is an olympian. he won the gold medal in the senior olympics this year." that made me not feel so bad. but still, i had fins on for crying out loud!

No comments: