Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Something so small, can mean so much...

last night i bought something from Walgreen's to take to the YMCA with me the next day. this item is something i should have been using the whole time, but i was lazy. it is so simple, so expected, and so......hygienic. yet as i was drying off, the item caught my eye, it all came clear to me......i am going to be using the YMCA for AT LEAST 3 more months. i inadvertently committed myself to this workout regiment all because i bought this thing that i already have at home thus wouldn't need another. what is this item that seems to have written my future for 3 more months in the gym? deodorant. not only is it deodorant, it is antiperspirant. i don't use antiperspirant but thought it would be good to use after working out for obvious reasons.

as i looked at this stick of old spice, i realized then and there "i can't take that home. i don't use antiperspirant. i have to use it here." i understand that you might think, dude, it's just deodorant. my response to you is simply this; it's not just deodorant, it's antiperspirant, if i take that home, the $3.79 will go to waste. work out i must or this stick was bought in vain.

i purposefully gave myself no time frame when i started swimming so i would have no goal and if i wasn't going to continue, i wouldn't let myself down for not attaining that goal (only self loathing and ridicule would come from quitting.)

i don't think i can fully explain through text or even verbal communication the realization that came to me when seeing the red and white stick of old spice. all i can say is that it came to me quickly and directly, i am going to have to pay $38 at least 3 more times.

4 comments:

Jessika said...

I thought all men's deodorant was anti-antiperspirant. Or are you like me and just never wear any kind of deodorant?

Mr. S said...

i only by deodorant and not antiperspirant because the antiperspirant turns your white shirts yellow in the pits. i had just been forgetting to bring pit stick to the gym.

Jessika said...

For girls at least, they scare us into thinking that the aluminum in the antiperspirant is going to give us Alzheimer. Do you know how hard it is to find just plain deodorant for girls? You have to buy hippy stuff and all it does is make your arm pits smell good, but you have huge pit pools, not a good look on a girl.
I think to avoid the pit stains on your shirts you have to wash them right away. But that is interesting if it is the antiperspirant staining the shirts and not your sweat.

K + T said...

Hey Danny - I do totally get it about not wanting to waste the antiperspirant. It's actually a good thing though - it's motivation to continue, and pretty cheap at that!

To chime on the whole aluminium thing, it is a serious pain trying to find womens deoderant that doesn't have it. I'm using a mens one for that very reason!