Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Falling off the deepend, as they say.

today and yesterday were struggles for the walrus at the pool. quick tangent, though i have classified myself as elephant seal status, i am still going to be the walrus, a walrus with elephant seal status if you will. a little tubby around the middle and a mustache, but graceful underwater. at least i think so. but i digress.....i had a poor showing at the pool yesterday, actually i performed well but when i got out of the pool...... not so good.



i was only able to take a half hour lunch so i tried to cram as much swimming in 15 min. as possible. i decided not to give myself a distance goal, just as much as i could in 15 min. i got 500 yds in and i was done. not to mention that butterfly guy was looking to get in my lane because the two lanes next to me were occupied with two elderly people, talking, of course not swimming. as i got the the end i told butterfly guy he could have my lane. i got out of the pool, hit the showers, and as i stood there i realized i was totally exhausted. i was completely spent and even got a little dizzy for a second. i know realize that i can't take 3 days out of the water and expect a hole lot. needless to say it was very difficult getting my clothes back on. i started to think "do you think Jerry would send me home if i showed up in a sweater and speedo?" i thought better of it and the struggle against tired muscles and sticky skin continued for approximately 5 min. ending with me hitting my head on my locker door. excellent.



today wasn't a whole lot better but i did have the full hour to swim. i swam a full hundo doing the crawl stroke then switched to the breast for another hundo before taking a break. i was having a hard time breathing well during my strokes and i think it was because of the graphic description of drowning that i read in the new Dan Brown book that got me thinking how that would really suck, you know, to drown and all.



as i was resting, i was watching this elderly lady next to me "swimming" down the lane. before i describe what i saw i have to say that i am not trying to make fun of the unintentional comedy that i see, at least in my mind, it's just that......well.....there really are a lot of old people at the "Y", and bless their hearts, like i have said before, i would love to be swimming at their age. having said that, the lady reminded me of this teenage mutant ninja turtle "swimming" Donatello action figure that i had. the arms and legs moved but it was hard to say the ninja turtle was swimming seeming how it never went forward. however, this lady did move down the lane, but at a very very slow pace. she remained afloat as well which kinda baffled me because of how slow she was moving. it almost seemed that she was laying on top of a kick board and then just moved her arms and legs up and down. OK, that's my last old lady paragraph for a while, unless something really good happens of course.

p.s. the Olympian was in the lane next to me and for a brief down and back, i kept up with him, as a matter of fact i may have gained a little. i realize this is probably nothing to gloat about considering i probably started to swim faster when i notice i was neck and neck with him. also of course there is that small, very small if you ask me, fact that i stopped because i was tired and he didn't stop for another 20 laps or so.....

No comments: