Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Elephant seal hits the gym

today i got the urge to lift some weights before going swimming. i found an article on menshealth.com about a 15 min. circuit training exercise. i thought i would give it a try considering the pool is very busy on Wednesdays. the circuit consists of 10 reps of sumo squats, 30 seconds of push ups (which i modified to 25 push ups.........on my knees (which i had to get a mat for because the floor hurt my knees)), 8 reps of Romanian dead lifts, 60 seconds of jump rope ( which i modified to 60 seconds on the rowing machine because they don't have jump ropes (that next time will be replaced by sit ups)), and 8 reps of standing shoulder press, then a 45 second rest before you start again. i did this 3 times then hit the pool for 300 yards of frogger like swimming to avoid more old people.

speaking of old people. old ladies, especially the frail really old ones, crack me up. when i got into the weight room to start my circuit, no one was in there. i was by myself. now, mind you this weight room is pretty narrow. you have wall, bike (the kind you sit in like a chair) , two feet (maybe 21 inches) for a walk way, tread mill, then wall. i finish the sumo squats, i lay down between the tread mills and start doing push ups (minus the mat. i didn't know it was going to hurt yet) i had just started doing my push ups 1, 2, 3....then i noticed two freakishly white shoes shuffling toward me about 6 inches at a time and the shoes never leaving the floor.....5, 6, 7.......they paused, shuffle to the left 8, 9, 10......shuffle to the right.......11, 12, 13..... pause. not a word from the bleached white shooed old lady. 14, 15, 16......i then hear a small grunt and the right shoe leaves the ground, left shoe leaves the ground. oh man she is climbing the bike.......to get around me! i am thinking to myself.....17, 18...."hold on lady i am almost done." i get up after my 20 push ups (i know i said 30 earlier but i lied. OK?) you know how i know she climbed the bike to get around me? because when i got up to finish my circuit, she got on the tread mill on the other side of me. and let me tell you, old lady shuffling her feet on a tread mill looks like a broken disaster waiting to happen.

i finish my circuit, feeling pretty good about myself, feeling in shape, kinda buff. i walk by a mirror while my head was swelling and think "nope, still fat." i am off to the pool.

the pool was filled with people again. i should have gone to the pool right when i got there because no one was in there at the time. there were approximately 8 elderly people standing around in the double lane area. this just frustrates me because i am just an elephant seal trying to elevate myself to seal status during LAP SWIM.

my arms are dead from the circuit but i still am able to bang out 300 yds. without stopping. i decide that was enough and call it a day.

my sister asked what the animal levels were and i am not sure yet :) all i have so far is manatee, narwhal, walrus, elephant seal..............seal being the top.

3 comments:

Jessika said...

PML....very funny!!!

Unknown said...

Just curious, but what do you grab to lift a dead Romanian anyway?

Sarahbelle said...

I am enjoying your updates, and get a kick out of reading them. I can only imagine the Lynden YMCA, you are a brave one to venture there. We go to the rec center (okay well we haven't in months since it was summer) to swim and G and I always get to hang out with the old ladies that stand in the pool, not even walking!