Monday, December 17, 2012

Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way (Mostly)

Friday's events certainly got me thinking about my family and I know I am not alone when I say that. I know our issues don't compare to what they are going through and are anything out of the ordinary or can even really be described as "issues".  For that I am thankful.  I feel so bad for those parents and I certainly wish them well.  I have moved on from thinking about the horrific what if's to the much more common day to day life that is my family and I have to say, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Charlotte has always been a tough cookie when it comes to bed time and just sleeping in general.  I think that in any 2 week span, there will be one night that she hasn't cried for mom and dad and ended up in bed with us at some point.  Evelyn used to be the all night sleeper but now is up a few times a night.  Molly and I haven't had much sleep in the last few months.  A lot of the sleeping issues has come from a cold that seems to not want to go away for Charlotte and Evelyn.  As much as we miss sleep, want the kids to sleep well and obviously want the kid's colds to go away, that being said, I almost wouldn't have it any other way.  As much as Charlotte kicks, moves, slaps, etc. during the night, I like feeling her warm little body next to us. Is there anything better than snuggling with your 2 year old?

It's hard to say that Evie waking up crying a couple times a night is something that I am fine with.  I know she will learn to go back to sleep (and we are working on that). But in a weird way, I am looking forward to telling her when she has kids, "yup, I know, you were like that too.  It'll get better".  So in that respect, I wouldn't have it any other way.  (Seriously though she can start sleeping through the night now.  The story has been written and is ready to be used at a later date.)

Charlotte definitely is a 2 year old.  She is the sweetest, funniest, smartest, little girl that I know.  Watching her figure out mom's iPhone is just amazing to me.  I love it when she randomly says, "Dad, I yuve you". However, she can throw fits with the best of them.  I know I am not alone when I say that I am ready for the tantrums to stop.  However I know that they will and this is just part of the deal.  Not only will she grow out of it but Molly and I are learning how to be parents because of it.  So in that respect, I wouldn't have it any other way.  (Insert last parenthetical line from the last paragraph here and change "start sleeping through the night" to "stop the tantrums". (Parenthetical, proud of myself for that one.  I hope I used it right.))

What I am saying is that these things we, as parents, deal with on a day to day basis suck at the time.  But I know it is part of it and eventually they will be gone (happily in most cases).  Thinking about these things made me realize, for me, that I wouldn't want it any other way because later on down the road I can look back and say to"yeah those times were the pits but everyone comes out better for it in the end."  In a weird way, I will probably miss the lack of sleep, and terrible 2's.  I don't know, maybe I am crazy.

My little family is exactly that, mine.  I love them all very dearly and miss them when I am not with them.  If being able to spend time with my family means dealing with the occasional tantrum and sleepless nights, then I gladly will do that and wouldn't have it any other way.  (Although a little more sleep welcomed :))

2 comments:

Ms. Molly said...

You are the best dad. Love you. and yes, our girls are the best. xoxo

Jessika said...

I love sleeping with the Sprout although it doesn't happen often anymore.
I must say, I love 3! It is the best. He is his own little guy and watching him be a person and the things he knows and tries to learn is amazing. Especially plunking him in front of a computer or one sort or another is amazing.