Monday, December 3, 2012

Just a Material Girl Living in a Material World

i don't know what my problem is but when there is a latest and greatest version of some kind of something i already own, i feel the need to get it.  i make fun of the people that spend $400 on the iPhone 5 when they just spent $400 on the iPhone 4s, however, i have come to realize that i am no different than these people (other than i WISH i had $400 to spend every 3 months on something and not feel guilty about it).  IPhone? no. Nook? yes.  i have the original nook and have had it for 2 years now.  in my head i would complain about how heavy it is when i am reading in bed (it would make my thumbs tired).  so whilst we were at my in laws for thanksgiving, we do the annual perusal of the black friday ads.

i oogle over the things that will never be marked down enough for me to buy them. for example, if that 50" tv were marked down 95% instead of 40% i would do it.  (Hear that Best Buy?!)  anyway, a certain something caught my eye in the Target ads, Barnes and Noble Nook Touch 50% off!  as soon as i saw that, i knew i had to have it.  to make a long story short, they ran out of them at target somewhere between midnight and 8 am when i got there.  however the BN store just down the street had plenty to spare.

as i do with any purchase that is of the extraneous verity, i am gung ho about it until i have the item in my hands and is time to go to the register.  this is a moment that pisses off Molly (luckily for her i hadn't done my annoying research/talk myself into buying it by annoying her with my explanation on why i should by "x" thing because i just decided the night before...and she wasn't with me at this time of purchase), myself and everyone trying to use the isle that i am in.  i freeze in the middle of the isle and stare at the ceiling.  weird i know but then i get all these thoughts like, "do i need this? i have a nook at home.  what would i rather do with the $60 that i could come up with now but know i wouldn't buy that either without this weird frozen ceiling stare."  finally i snapped out of it and said to myself "screw it! what's $60? plus this is my one "me" item this year."

i buy it, go home, us it that night.  then comes the other annoying thing i do, pick it apart ( "i like it, it's nice and small but since it is a touch screen i am having a hard time with placing my thumb on the screen and it makes the page turn.  oh wait, if i leave my thumb there, the word just highlights for the dictionary, i can handle that.  it's hard to see the last few lines when it is sitting on my chest, the other one had that scroll bar at the bottom giving it a little more height so i.......blah blah blah.)  and makes molly say "ohmygod" real quickly and quietly under her breath but just loud enough for me to understand that i am absolutely ridiculous as she rolls away from me.

My name is Danny Simon, i have a wife and 2 girls, a dog, a cat, 4 guitars and 2 Nooks.

No comments: